[Jacob-list] general sheep questions

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Aug 21 16:46:23 EDT 2007

Well, par for the course, I just spent two afternoons mowing hay and was in the middle of a field getting ready to bale when an unexpected thunderstorm (weathermen are such liars) came up and rained me out. About a 1/4 inch I think. Enough to wet the hay so that I will have to start all over again, but not enough to help out the severe draught.

I think that crimson clover will be OK. It is a good emergency annual. Red clover and ladino clover are the ones that I have heard may have negative effects on cycling. For the most part, it should only be a problem if that is the primary forage. I would not expect a problem in mixed stands that are 2/3 grass.

Your Jacobs can live on things that would kill a froo-froo horse. But from what i have seen, non-froo horses can actually do rather well if placed in a situation where they are given the right kind of environment and not pampered. They're kinda like husbands and children.

Neal Grose
Hot North Carolina