[Jacob-list] Hay Woes

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Aug 10 19:13:54 EDT 2007

$200/ton? I am quaking with gratitude for the chance to get hay delivered this week at $200/ton! It is wonderful hay with no weeds and the sheep eat every blade. My round bales are running $90/ton, but that source is limited and we aren't able to store round bales efficiently. Getting good quality round bales is hard around here, but this guy's are good, so we are trying to get as many as we can until he runs out.

As far as I can tell, there are as many hay fields around as ever, but we are now competing with the horse market, where people have 4 horses on a dirt lot, need lots of hay, and are willing to pay dearly for it. Combined with the drought, it makes it rough. Don't get me wrong - I raised and showed Quarter Horses for years. We had pasture, though, and didn't keep horses in a space the size of my kitchen. Sore subject.

I used to go with the per bale price, but hay bales vary so much as to weight around here, that it makes no sense to look at the bale price. I'm a reasonably strong 58 year old woman. If I can carry a bale in each hand on our steep land, they ain't heavy.

It sounds like you have a great cooperative effort going in Utah. This year, for the first time ever, I think I will be taking some sheep to the sale. I am absolutely, totally, against taking Jacobs to the sale if they are something where I don't want to see offspring showing up to be registered down the line. Since both JSBA and JSC have open books, I prefer to butcher anything not worth breeding. I imagine the prices will be down, but with the cost of hay, it may be the most financially practical move. We'll be running our freezer rams on a neighbor's pasture and giving them meat in exchange.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com