[Jacob-list] Hay Woes

Karen karen at benjaminfarms.com
Fri Aug 10 17:43:25 EDT 2007

We are also having a problem this year with the hay. Utah has
always been a little behind with their prices, so it has been hard for
us to see such big increases. As far as the weather is concerned, we
are having a good year for growing hay overall. Our problems stem from
1- First cut did not yield as well as usual. We got too hot, too fast.
2- We are losing hay fields to sub divisions. 3- We are also competing
with the big ranches and dairies from Calif. who will come in, offer top
dollar ($200.00 per ton) and buy it all. 4- Corn replacing hay fields
to be sold as an alternative fuel source. Last year hay went for about
$100.00 per ton at the most. Now if you can find it, it will start at
about $150.00 and go up.
We also have a local Hay producer that has been offering $150.00 per
ton in the field to all the local farmers, as long as the farmer sells
only to him. He then plans on holding out to increase the price to
$200.00 per ton this winter. Several good things have come about this
summer from all the concern about the hay prices. One person has
created a Hay Data base, at UtahFiberFarmers at yahoo.com. She has talk
with, as many hay producers as possible and then made a data base,
comparing what they have and their price. This has help us have a more
accurate picture of the market and I believe has also help with keeping
the hay prices competitive. If I can know where to buy for $4.00 per
bale vs $6.00 per bale and what the actual tonnage prices are, that is
really being charged. Sometimes buying by the bale will inflate the
tonnage $$. We have also banned together (the Small Farms) and made sure
we have enough hay to get thru until Spring. We are hoping to impact
those storing the hay, so they can charge more in the Spring, to have
an over abundance that they will need then to drop the price to get rid of.
This Spring will be interesting for us. Currently people are so
worried about being able to feed there animals that there is no market
for selling (and it is almost impossible to give them away).
Karen Sigler
www.BenjaminFarms.com