[Jacob-list] help??

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 09:10:21 EDT 2007

Francis,

We have not found that to be the case with our Jacobs. They are not bullies, but they do have a pecking order the same as other breeds of sheep, goats, chickens, etc. When we introduce new sheep to the flock we usually set up a temporary pen next to the group they are going to be with and the old group will get to know the newcomers in a few days through the fence and we then turn them in together.
It is also a good idea not to feed everyone in the same trough, which causes fights over grain. Give them space to eat without having to fight for position. Imagine six people setting down to supper with all the food on just one plate.
I have raised several different breeds of sheep and I like the Jacobs the best of all. See our web site at: www.4hornfarm.com.

Regards,
Carl Fosbrink
Indiana

Francis Martinez <fabrega at pacbell.net> wrote:
Talked to a breeder that raises Shetland and icelandic and she said that Jacob sheep cannot be together with any other breed unless they are raised together -they Jacob sheep is a bully, and butts and eats all the food of the other sheep and they are not good with other animals from her personal experience with two jacobs that she had and they cause a Shetland Ewe to miscarriage. Can anyone enlightened me please?

Carl and Judy Fosbrink
www.4hornfarm.com