[Jacob-list] Bottle Lamb Problems

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 01:06:26 EDT 2007

Im beginning to worry that I have bigger problems going on in my 2 bottle
lambs.. Keep in mind that these are my first bottle babies.

I have a pair of ram lambs born the 15th of March. They were on their dam f
or the first 3 days... She died on the 21st. We were supplementing them
with bottles from day 3.

I am having round 2 of scours. Im not certain that their stools ever got
normal.. But they did get thicker.. like a paste. I started them on a small
emergency 3 lb bucket of Lamb replacer, when we started.... I then switched
them to Land O Lakes bucket. Tonight I planned to swich them to the Purina as
the feed store finally got in a big bag of it for me. I didn't want to do so
much switching, but had to make do.

On the 23rd, they started to show signs of scours. I put them on Pedialyte
for 24 hrs, and then cut back the powder to half, with plenty of water in
their bottles. It seemed to thicken up to the paste.....but never really
pellets.

We clipped up their banded tails to keep an eye on things... But because
they are in a 4x4 pen with shavings.. I never seem to be able to see what they
are pooping..... Seeing ocassional moderate scours, I was told by my vet to
start adding 1cc of Penicillin-G to their bottles and have done this for the
last 3 days

Today, I had to take the boys with me into town, as I had to be gone all
day. I had them in a dog crate, with towels, so I got a good idea of what was
going on.... Im also GUESSING here, that perhaps the trip to town was a bit
stressful, and may have contributed to scours.

I noticed a loose stool at about 10 am.. about the consistancy of a
milkshake.... on one of the lambs..

So for their noon bottle, I swung by the big farm store, picked up a calf
electrolyte packet, and made that up instead of the milk replacer I had with
me. I also added in 3cc of Pepto in each of their bottles. They were both
bright and happy. I gave each of them 10 oz of the electrolyte formula. The
milkshake scours continued. I gave them another electrolyte bottle with Pepto
in it at 6pm.. However , I was forced to give it to them COLD... as I had the
mixture in an ice chest (it said to keep refirgerated)

At 8pm, feeling badfor them, I gave them 4oz each of milk replacer.. Then my
husband fed them my concotion at 11pm... I had mixed up, 4oz of replacer, 3cc
of Pepto, 8oz of electrolytes, and 1cc of Pen-G

My husband came in, saying that one of the lambs ate all but 2 oz of the
mix(he ate about 10 oz). The other lamb greedily ate his portion. The lamb
that didn't eat his portion was a bit hunched up. Temp was 102.5 , and his
stool was watery with a greenish tinge.

Am I missing something here? Coccidia?

The stools appear dark yellow to dark green.

My feeding schedule has been:

5am 6 oz replacer mixed up according to directions, plus an extra 1/2 cup
water
noon 4 oz replacer, with extra 1/2 c of water
6pm 4 oz replacer plus 1/2 c of water
10-11pm 6oz replacer with 1/2 c extra water. with 1cc Pen-G

We had been feeding a full extra cup of water with the bottles up until
Friday, when my vet advised against that. (so the lambs were getting 4 oz
replacer with 8 oz of extra water.)