[Jacob-list] Lambs...finally

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 00:43:05 EDT 2007

Think we are done lambing with today's single, the last of 12 ewe lambs and 8 ram lambs. I am in central OH. Two ewe lambs left Sun with their dams to a new breeder near West Salem OH, so I have 10 left plus the rams plus 3X rams and 2X ewes from sheep I got from Spahr Farm last fall. The West Salem breeder also bought 4 X sheep inlcuding one ram to use in dog herding exhibitions, so the Jacob breed will get some exposure in the area that way.]
I need to keep 3 of this year's ewes to show at 3 fairs and do the Ohio State Fair Grimshaw Exhibit of 20 different breeds in 2008. I hope to sell or swap all the rest plus all but 2 rams. Last year we only had 5 ram lambs and I still have one left born Easter Sun -named Luke Easter but not yet papered - seems to be a mini.

Maybe this is an OWT, but this is the second year I have put apple cider vinegar in drinking water and gotten more ewes than rams. In 2005, I only got 3 ewes and 11 rams!

WE did lose two ram lambs the frigid night of Feb 11 - I went out at midnght and again at 4:00AM when I found the pair - tried to warm them up, but did not work out. That same night, a different ewe had had a single ram when I went out again at 7A and he was/is fine.

I have two 2005 registered rams I need to part with as they are getting too big and full of themselves for me to handle alone. One is a Maverick Capone grandson and the other is a 2H lilac with lots of color. The lilac was sheared last week and the 4H guy will be done next week. I also have ewe-lamb pairs I will sell-enquire.

Gary Anderson <gbanderson at ucdavis.edu> wrote: st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } Our first 2007 lambs are here! Last fall’s breeding season was episodic resulting from our ewes being moved from California to Michigan in October. The first breedings resulted from a quick prostaglandin injection and 3-day exposure to a ram while I was in Michigan to meet our moving van in early November. The next and last breedings took place during a week-long exposure to a ram with another trip to Michigan for the Christmas holidays. Most of our ewes are pregnant (giving high praise to Jacob sheep fertility) and either are lambing now or will lamb at the end of May, late but better than no lambs at all this year. We expect to have E- and F-generation ram lambs with West-coast genetics for sale or trade this summer. I will be interested in getting a ram or two from this area.

Gary Anderson
Newly transplanted to Sparta, Michigan