[Jacob-list] Ram Housing suggestions needed

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 03:31:31 EDT 2006

One of my rams spends most of his time in a 14x100 run with a calf  shelter, the run being situated between two bigger paddocks with  females and lambs. He now has 3 ewes in his pen. Another has a 3-sided  shed I built with a 15x20 pen (as winter housing near the barn).   A third ram has a 2 acre paddock with year-round company of  others.  In winter I will need to move the ram in the 14x100 run  out of the woods for hunting season, so he will get a smallish pen with  his calf shelter at least until hunting is over or maybe he will get  stuuffed in a pen near the barn with a male lama.

  Carl in IN houses some of his rams together.  Maybe he can give a good guidance.

  I have used canopies in the past but the last 2 were destroyed by high winds (one just last June 22).

JACI SIEHL <wedohoney at sbcglobal.net> wrote:  I am about to get my first ram.  I live in a heavily wooded  2.5 acres with no pastureland.  Because of the protection given by  the trees, my 4 ewes do not have a solid barn or enclosure.  We  use a 10 x 20 canopy with three sides to keep them and their feed out  of the wind and rain.  They have full access to our property,  including our front porch.  We will be putting in some  cross-fencing later this fall so the sheep will only have about 1.5  acres to use.  But as we plan our cross-fencing I need to know how  much space a ram will need.

  I know I  don't want my ram running loose like my ewes, but how large of an  enclosure does he need?  What type of fencing has proven  successful or less than successful?

  I  appreciate any ideas.  Up to now, it hasn't been an issue, because  we borrowed rams and didn't need to house one year around.