[Jacob-list] thin ewe update

Tom and Judy Riddolls grey_wethers_farm at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:59:21 EDT 2006

so i have got many responses to my thin ewe so will update you all.

she is still acting healthy and spirited.  I assume that when the weather
gets cool (as it is here) they start getting aggressive? all my ewes are out
butting each other, one wether even hopped over the fence to get away.  so
she is not acting tired.

observations and symptoms, (or lack of).
-thinning build, i have noticed her front shoulders now look narrow.
-eating a lot, and bawling for food constantly (more than a few months ago)
-normal stool, no diarrhea
-a slight limp in the front legs, maybe my imagination and could be from the
rocky terrain we live on
-no hard udder when it was full
-both lambs grew well, although one wether (with a HUGE head and horns) is a
little scrawny
-no abssesses, no cuts or injuries that i have seen
-no teeth grinding or tenderness when probed anywhere
-no frothing mouth
-a slight watery eye, but i can't tell if more than normal, not dripping or
anything, slightly teary
-a quick breathing, shallow, like a dog panting
-BUT no lack of energy, routinly gallops over to me when i come to the gate

so with all that
I can' find a disease that matches, OPP should have seen more coughing and
general lethargy, MV would have a hard bag and stunted lambs, Johne's
disease seems to make for weak sheep at the end often (but not always) with
diarrhea.  Mandy was passing solid stool even when on her side hours from
death.

Here is another something i forgot, last february we lost two rabbits that
had the identical symptoms, even the way they died, sprawled about,
apparently disoreinted, like they were drunk.  They were not weak so much as
thin to the point of skeletal.  Could it be related,  What about anthrax?

The vet is also stumped, as i want to bring in a registered and costly ram,
i am thinking of having the sheep's stool sent off and tested, though this
takes months...
tom