[Jacob-list] thin ewe

Gillian Fuqua gillianfuqua at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 20 20:28:36 EDT 2006

I don't know where you live Tom, but we have had tremendous issues with
very nasty parasites this summer.  I have had three very sick lambs who
fully recovered and on Monday one of my ewe lambs who had seemed wormy
got stuck in a fence and strangled.  I think that she just did not have
the strength to get out.  A neighbor of mine has lost 3 lambs and one
goat this year too.  I wish I had some good advice to offer other than
tales of woe.  You may have to look at using another wormer on top of
the Ivermectin, one that has another active ingredient or contains a
boticide.  Another thing that I have done in the past is done large
doses consecutively of Safeguard for 3 days.  Yogurt after worming
seems to soothe the stomachs as well.   I have also found that giving
doses of nutri-drench can help as well.  Tom, I hope that your second
sick girl gets better and pulls through so you don't lose hope all
together.

In times like this it is easy to toss in the towel. but there is
nothing nicer than hanging out with your flock.  I had actually thought
of doing a major downsizing now that I am in the midst of a divorce.  A
friend of mine who is not particularly an animal lover told me to keep
them, that he has never seen me more relaxed and happy than when I have
been working with my animals or their fiber.  So I am going to cut some
other corners and keep the flock, even when I am out digging a hole, in
the dark, cursing Mother Nature for another sad moment.

On another note for Ralene.  I think that a real key for me being able
to work my sheep alone is that I spend a lot of time with them, just
hanging out.  I will sit out and read or sometimes just talk to them
about lots of things.  I also will frequently have little bits of grain
or apple peelings.  (If you go out with a beer, they do try to drink
it)  The only time that I really have a hard time is when they see the
truck near the pasture, then they are lunatics because they are not
wild about travel.