[Jacob-list] Locker Lamb/ dress out percentages?

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Nov 7 18:16:30 EST 2006

I'm really curious as to what everyone is getting as far as the ratio of live weight to carcass weight.

Heather said > 35# hanging or approximately 55 live, which is a higher ratio than I think I'm getting, although I admit I'm guessing on live weight.  70-85 lbs live weight with 30 lbs of meat is a little lower than what I think I'm getting, but closer.  Without actually weighing my live lambs, I'm just wild guessing here.  My butcher says all species dress out at about 50%, but I can't see that applies to adult Jacobs.  I saved the top horns only from a three year old ram and they weighed a bit over 20#, which would have to affect the carcass weight.  I suppose the less horn development, the higher the dress out percentage?  There was a study done on rabbit weights by LSU (I think).  After lots of testing, it was determined that withholding feed and water for 48 hours before butchering resulted in a higher dress out ratio.  Due, of course, to the fact that the rabbits' digestive and urinary tracts were empty.  Same amount of meat, but a higher ratio.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com