[Jacob-list] Locker Lamb

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Tue Nov 7 02:19:28 EST 2006

  A big thank you to everyone who posted replies to my locker lamb inquiry!

          I think most of these must have been sent privately and not to the list-- I think I just saw one answer. I'd like to hear from everyone too, because it helps to figure out pricing ,etc. I usually sell my butcher lambs at about 6-7 months because I'm feeding them hay at that point--after separating from ewes who get the irrigated pasture. (When or if my daughter's horses move elsewhere then I may have pasture I can devote to ram lambs. I've been able to sell the larger ones for $125 plus the processing cost. These rams are 70-85 lbs. I end up with about 30 lbs of meat.

  The main problem I've had with "feedlot" butcher lambs is the parasite level. I sometimes don't worm as much as I should and it's easy for the worm load to get ahead. Lambs that are already stressed from parasites are more likely to have pneumonia or coccidiosis. In different years I've experienced bouts with one or the other of those. Prevention works best and that's what I'm trying for this year.

  Robin Lynde
  Meridian Jacobs
  Vacaville, CA
  www.meridianjacobs.com