[Jacob-list] Locker Lamb/ dress out percentages?

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Wed Nov 8 01:30:18 EST 2006

  I'm really curious as to what everyone is getting as far as the ratio of live weight to carcass weight.

              I had live weights on 7 lambs this year and I kept track of hanging weights, etc. These lambs weighed from 60 to 79 lbs, a couple were shorn, and 2 were ewe lambs. I didn't have the info on the heavier lambs that I sold earlier.  Here's what I figured out:

  Hanging weight was 50% of live weight.
  Meat weight was 80% of hanging weight.
  Meat weight was 40% of live weight.

  Robin Lynde