[Jacob-list] Lamb diarrhea

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue May 16 11:18:10 EDT 2006

>Noticed today that one of our bottle lambs from this spring has a bad case
of
>diarrhea. He has not been as perky as normal for a couple of days, but
stays
>with the flock eating hay, grain, and pasture. He is 3 months old, and
seems
>to strain when trying to poop. Diarrhea is brown - no blood that I can
tell.
>No one else has shown any signs. I wormed him this afternoon, just in case
>that might be the problem.
>Any suggestions on how to treat? Should I be worried?
>Thanks!
>Kathey
==========
Sorry this is so late, I am on Jacob-list digest and just received this.  I
had a similar problem last month, but the lamb was only a week old.  Scours
are fairly common with bottle lambs, especially on artificial milk
replacer.  On the advice of a sheep veterinarian, we treated the lamb with
Pepto-Bismol, live-cultured yogurt, a daily injection (shot) of
oxytetracycline antibiotic, switched from milk replacer to goat's milk,
added a drop of vitamin E in the milk to help the lamb digest the milk
fats.  We treated for a week and then just had the lamb on goat's milk and
live-cultured yogurt for a few more weeks.  Besides firming up the stools,
the Pepto-, twice a day, also soothes irritated intestines.  The
oxytetracycline destroys the bad bacteria and the live-cultured yogurt,
three times a day, adds the good bacteria.  We found some sheep yogurt at
the local natural/organic foods store.  The oxytetracycline was bought from
the local animal feed store or you can get it from a vet clinic.  If you
need any more help with this, just send an email to me
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho