[Jacob-list] Diarrhea & Odd ear problem

Pam Kern sugarhaus at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 10:41:55 EDT 2006

Hi, I'm new to the list, but thought I would and my
two cents.

I have had Jacob and Shetland sheep for 4 short years
and have been working for a goat dairy for about a
year and a half.

Diarrhea: "Spectam scour-halt" (Spectinomycin) has
worked well here I suppose bottle babies just don't
get what they need to protect them. One other thought
is it could be coccidiosis I would take a fecal sample
in. If it is, "Corid" works great! The Vet will most
likely recommend a sulfa drug, but I have found Corid
to do the job quick and well. I have a small herd of
milk goats and the kids are bottle fed so they don't
get all the protection from mom to help with such
things. Although it did go through the sheep herd one
year as well. It dosen't take long to lose and animal
to diarrhea.

Ear: Could it have been bit by an older ewe?? I have 2
bums this year and the older ewes just can't stand
them. I've had to keep them separate besides ramming
them the try and bit them if they come any where near
the ewes and their lambs.

Pam,
The Sugarhaus
Home for Jacob sheep, Shetland Sheep, English Angora
Rabbits and Nubian Goats.