[Jacob-list] next installment

Ralene Mitschler rmitschler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 20:41:01 EST 2006

Wow....I am amazed at your story Betty!  Best of luck with the bottle
babies!

I found something new in my  flock here too.  I had a yearling ewe deliver a
stillborn lamb (or it perhaps died very shortly after).  Natalie called and
called her baby on and off for several days.  I had another ewe Poppy refuse
one of her twins (born March 9th but rejected about March 12) but still call
lamb when I was bottle feeding.  I did try to introduce Posey (the bottle
lamb) and Natalie immediately after I found the dead lamb.  Both looked at
me as if to say 'we aren't that dumb".  But last night I saw the bottle lamb
and the lambless mom hanging together.  Tonight I watched and saw with
amazement (10 days after  lamb died) that Natalie was letting bottle baby
Posey nurse!  I don't imagine Natalie has much milk left but clearly there
was some!

Should I just watch and maybe hold off tomorrow morning's bottle to see?  It
was quite cute both nights watching Natalie snuffling ears and tail of
Posey.  Posey seems shocked not to be pushed away; and  Poppy isn't
interfering.  Since this started last night I haven't heard Poppy call Posey
at all (even though I have never seen her let Posey nurse!)

Waiting for more installations of your lambing adventures!
Ralene

--
Ralene Mitschler
Chicory Lane Farm Jacob sheep