[Jacob-list] shearing day

Penelope pcj at efn.org
Sun Mar 19 10:18:24 EST 2006

Sharon the Sherer should be here in two hours.  Two families from
school who are interested in sheep, wool, farms, whatever should be
here in due course.  And, two thirds of the sheep are in.  The third
third left last night and is down in the pasture grazing, rotten old
things!  (Sheep for sale, Cheap!)  Which means that we borrow some
neighbor kids and play herd dog this morning.  Days like this I wish
for a trained neighboring herd dog.

As of this moment, culls, who didn't get culled last year because
we've had two, or is it three, hellish years in a row, are on their
last weeks.  Those non-culls who need to become non-breeders, or who
are nice sheep but not what we want are going up for sale, as gifts,
or whatever else.  And probably it means we have to go show and sell
at Black Sheep Gathering this year, but if I'm lucky I can negotiate
with some younger (than me!) kids who might actually enjoy being at
and around the gathering full time, where as I just (a) don't want to
be away from home that much and (b) would spend way way too much
money were I there.  Failing that, anyone on this coast want to take
on ... no, never mind you've all got your own.  :-)

I'll let you know how it turns out.  Pollen counts are up, which
means I'm wearing a dust mask, taking antihistamines, and asthma
meds, of course just in time for having to work the sheep.  Now for
something to go right maybe.  A few things even.

Sorry, I haven't posted here in forever, and now I've posted three
time in a week.  And I don't even mention the sheep in my
signature.  I'll fix that if I keep posting.  If you want to reply to
me off list you have to jump through the Spam Arrest  hoop first --
it emails you and tells you you have to prove you're a person.  Sorry
'bout that.  I've been on the list forever, or so it seems, probably
since summer of '99 when I first got Jacob sheep.  We have about 3
dozen, and a similar number of milk goats currently.  Winnowing down
to around half that of each this spring and summer.  I-5 Corridor in
Oregon if anyone is randomly interested in knowing more.

peace folks,
penelope

--
"...Shine my life like a light..." (the indigo girls)
Penelope Jacob pcj at efn.org  penelope at dreamsandbones.net

The circle is open but unbroken.

http://www.dreamsandbones.net/blog