: [Jacob-list] comment on "those wild Jacobs"

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Wed Mar 15 07:42:08 EST 2006

Since I didn't witness the attack, and since the injuries are relatively mild compared to the potential,I'm not at all sure that the other sheep didn't intervene.  The ewe who was injured is an older gal and usually at the tail end of the flock when they move from place to place, so I am really surprised that the injuries were not more severe.  The ram is with the girls too.  On the other hand--this is the flock that was huddled in one corner of the barn lot staring with fright into the pasture one evening.  When I came down to see what was the problem, they bunched up into a shoulder-to-shoulder wooly mass and tried to hide behind me as they followed me out into the pasture to investigate.  I expected a cougar, at least, or maybe sasquatch, from their actions.  My flashlight caught movement just as the sheep froze in place--I could almost imagine their gasp of terror-- and a fat raccoon waddled across the beam of light.  Well, in their defense, it was a large 'coon. LOL
Melody