[Jacob-list] wild and crazy jacobs

Ralene Mitschler rmitschler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 08:13:21 EST 2006

I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever who thinks it is her job to test my fences
for me -- probably better her than the sheep or loose dogs!  Willow
specializes in finding ways under the fence.  When doing chores I either put
her on a line or put her back inside the house but the other day I felt
sorry for her and let her run in the barnyard while throwing down hay.  She
paid my pity back by slipping into the ewe/lamb pasture.  I saw her go in
and in the time it took me to get to the gate and down the fenceline, she
had been cornered by my pet wether Bandit--a 2H.  He body slammed her once
and when she turned her head to beg for help from me he got her again!  No
bones broken but boy she hasn't gone back in there since.  Dahlia, one of my
friendliest ewes, gave her a head butt in the behind on the way out just for
good measure.  So I now know Uncle Bandit and Uncle Lilac (another pet) are
on duty!  All the ewes are friendly with my big teddy bear lab Otter so I
have always worried that they would think all dogs are friends but
apparently not so....

Otter is exhausted from signalling me that yet another lamb is hollering or
a mom is hollering for a lamb.  There are only eighteen out there for him to
keep track of!  One lamb currently named Trouble keeps his mom constantly
looking for him.  Poor Fantasia just delivered her pair yesterday and both
have been heading in opposite directions even without Trouble's help.  I
hope Anania teaches Fantasia her trick, she tells her two to 'lie down here
and stay".......  : )

As for rams, I am shopping for the biggest super tanker water gun I can find
though so far my trusty farm broom is the scariest thing ever even when
cutting opening bales of hay.
Happy Lambing!
Ralene

--