[Jacob-list] poor sellers

Victoria da Roza castlerockjacobs at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 17:18:52 EDT 2006

My daughter has a solution to the poor seller issue.
She states that  she will not consider a goat "held"
without a deposit and then after the kids birth they
only have so many days to bring the rest of the money
and pick it up...I think it is 21 days.  If the kid is
not picked up and paid for at that time, it is sold to
the next buyer that wants it and the person can put
the deposit on that same doe which will be bred the
next year or get the deposit back.
   Of course these are show goats and are bottle fed
to be friendly to people and be handled easily. If
they do not pick them up quickly she must bottle feed
along with a full time job and making her soap
products so it  is very annoying and time consuming
for her.
   I think a reasonable pickup/sale completed  time
could be stated at the first contact and restated at
the time of deposit.  I admire those of you who would
trust people enough to let them go without full
payment.  I guess I am either too jaded or too
experienced with not so nice people.  I also figure if
someone is not interested enough to put down a
deposit, then they are not really that interested.  I
also get annoyed with people who call and talk about
Jacobs for an hour and make arrangements to come look
at those for sale and never show up and do not have
the courtesy to call and  just say they changed their
minds...so you could do something with your weekend
besides wait for them never to show up.
   I guess I can be more cranky because I have a tiny
herd and not many to sell each year.  In fact I only
have 2 ewe lambs this year and was asked if I wanted
to sell them to Hawaii !!!  But I am keeping them for
awhile at least.  I wonder if their wool would do very
well in such a humid climate?  Victoria

Victoria
Castle Rock Farm
Jacob Sheep & Nigerian Dwarf Goats