[Jacob-list] Bacterial pneumonia in lambs

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 13 12:01:51 EDT 2006

>I am a little leery of a diagnosis of bacterial pneumonia in a newborn
lamb. In lambs or calves less than 3 days old, I would >expect that the
culprit is mechanical form inhaled fluids. Bacterial pneumonia generally
occurs secondary to mechanical or viral >>pneumonia.

>Neal Grose
========
I wondered about that too.  In reading about bacterial pneumonia in lambs,
I read that an antibiotic is often used to PREVENT bacterial pneumonia
which has a high rate of occurrence after other problems, such as inhaled
fluids, dust, or other lung problems.   My vet suggests giving Penicillin
for 5 days for something like "hay poke" (ulcerated eye).  I just give the
Atropine (dilates the eye) and the triple antibiotic eye cream.  It has
always been sufficient; besides, the sheep are difficult to catch!
Cathy
Moscow, ID