Breeding question & RE: [Jacob-list] shearing with fiskers

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 11:35:48 EDT 2006

I've used Fiskers (or lookalikes) for years shearing
my sheep. I love the time to spend bonding with my
critters. Older ones now know shearing is a fun time
with pats, scratches and treats! I also like the
ability to sort through the wool as I shear,
discarding tags, matted areas, etc. as I shear.

Question - what's the latest in the year anyone has
had Jacob lambs born? I know they are seasonal
breeders. My ram was young last breeding season. Ewes
appear settled, but as of yet no lambs on the ground.
Thoughts?

Joy
www.shepherdofspots.com

--- Linda <patchworkfibers at alltel.net> wrote:

> That frequently happens after shearing.  The freshly
> shorn ewes are chasing
> their lambs yelling at them.  The lambs are
> screaming like crazy - "you're
> not my mother.  My mother is fluffy."  Eventually
> everyone slows down enough
> to sniff each other and the family groups are
> reunited.
>
> One thing to watch for is that rams that have been
> together all year in
> perfect harmony, suddenly don't recognize each
> other.
>
> Linda

            Joyce M. Thomas
Son Rise Farm & Rabbitry, Creedmoor NC
  Jacob Sheep, Hand Spun Yarn, Fleece (seasonal)
  Custom Knit & Triloom Woven Items
  American Fuzzy Lop & French Angora Rabbits (Fiber)
  Holland Lop & Netherland Dwarf Rabbits (Pets)
  www.shepherdofspots.com