[Jacob-list] Jacob crosses

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 8 14:31:41 EDT 2006

--Sue wrote:
>Just curious - are there Jacob breeders here in the states who have
attempted to bulk up the body conformation of the Jacob >sheep, much as the
British have done? I would assume those breeders would not communicate
their efforts with the general Jacob >community for fear of
retribution......but was wondering.
========
I know a few people doing that around here.  One man called me and wanted a
ram.  I found out that he wanted to eventually breed his Jacob ewes to a
Suffolk ram to "make them larger and thus meatier".  I called a source who
raises Jacob crosses for the same reason, to make them meatier for the
local ethnic market (we have two Universities, 10 miles apart).  Rather
than sell one of my Jacobs, the man bought one of the Jacob-crosses from
the other source.  I told him the ram was a cross and that I wanted to keep
my line pure.  He was fine with that.

The main reason I bought Jacobs in the first place is their small size,
easier for me to handle.  The ram on that website is HUGE, in more ways
than one!  I have never seen a Jacob ram look like that.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho