[Jacob-list] LGDs

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 30 12:35:00 EDT 2006

We use llamas to guard. It amazes me that your Jacobs will accept any
dog, regardless of breed. My Jacobs beat up dogs: the neighbor's pit
bulls, the old lab we used to have, a couple different herding dogs,
etc.
We now have a German shepherd/hunting dog cross as our family dog.
The sheep have "accepted" him better than any other dog we've tried.
The Jacobs beat him up a couple times and he pretty much ignores
them. He does however, catch up chickens when they stray into the
garden and has helped us herd a couple stray lambs. He does this by
cornering and holding the stray until we get there (the hunting
instincts) and the other night, he rescued a chicken - couldn't see
in the dark, exactly what had gotten a hold of it, but he chased off
the predator and held onto the chicken, so we were able to put it
back in the barn relatively unharmed (missing a few feathers).
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon