[Jacob-list] LGDs

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 30 14:44:25 EDT 2006

Hello All,

      I do not intend to offend anyone that has guard dogs and if it works for them that is great.  We have guard llamas and I can not say enough good things about the job they do. The Jacobs like them and they guard the Jacobs very well. Woe be to any dog that gets into the Jacob pasture.  The last dog that got into the pasture was howling to get out and I had to go rescue him because the ram was bouncing him off the fence.

  Regards,
  Carl

Debbie Bennett <dbennet954 at earthlink.net> wrote:
  We use llamas to guard. It amazes me that your Jacobs will accept any
dog, regardless of breed. My Jacobs beat up dogs: the neighbor's pit
bulls, the old lab we used to have, a couple different herding dogs,
etc.
We now have a German shepherd/hunting dog cross as our family dog.
The sheep have "accepted" him better than any other dog we've tried.
The Jacobs beat him up a couple times and he pretty much ignores
them. He does however, catch up chickens when they stray into the
garden and has helped us herd a couple stray lambs. He does this by
cornering and holding the stray until we get there (the hunting
instincts) and the other night, he rescued a chicken - couldn't see
in the dark, exactly what had gotten a hold of it, but he chased off
the predator and held onto the chicken, so we were able to put it
back in the barn relatively unharmed (missing a few feathers).
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon