[Jacob-list] LGDs

Judy Watson jwatson at centex.net
Fri Jul 28 08:31:50 EDT 2006

Elaina,
	I think it depends a lot on where you are located and whether
you are buying a show dog or not.  In Texas it is common to see pups for
$150 to $200, but I see "breeding stock" (read city bred & raised) dogs
for up to and over $1000.  I have 2 Anatolians and 1 Anatolian/Great
Pyr. mix and am extremely pleased with all of them and would trade any
of them for a truck load of gold.  I think it is important to try to get
pups from actual working parents, and it is best that they be born and
grow up around livestock, although this is not always necessary as the
best Anatolian I have was a "rescue" and had been kept in isolated in a
small cage for the first 5 months of her life before I got her.  She
bonded right away with my herd.  I also would never hesitate to have
another cross as long as it is a cross between LGD breeds (and not
something else like a herding dog, hunting dog, etc).

Judy Watson                                        325-938-5403 hm.
Rt. 2 Box 287                                      325-451-0209 cell
330 CR 427
Goldthwaite, TX  76844

I-Diamond-I Ranch                         www.IDiamondI.com
Does anyone know "typical" prices for various breeds of LGD puppy? e.g.
Great Pyrenees, Anatolian, Maremma, etc.  A friend
asked me to post this question.  Thanks,

Elaina M. Kenyon
http://www.avillionfarm.com
Shetland sheep, angora goats, angora rabbits