[Jacob-list] dress out weights

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Jul 15 20:26:09 EDT 2006

We currently have in our freezer a four year old ram, a five year old ewe, a four year old ewe and a five month old ram lamb. Last evening's grilled 5 year old ewe chops were excellent.  The four year old ram has no gamy taste.  The only difference between ground old ram and ground beef is that this ground old ram has hardly any fat.  The ram has never been grained.  Our rams that have been grained do have some fat - but still haven't been gamy. We have brought quite a few adult rams into the cold dark barn.  The only off taste sheep we ever had was a 7 month old ewe lamb.  I still don't quite know what was different with that one, but I fed it to the dogs.

Dress out percentages on horned sheep vary alot depending on the age and sex of our horned breed.  I read an interesting study about dress out percentages on rabbits back when I raised alot of rabbits.  The rather expensive study came to the conclusion that if feed and water were withheld from a rabbit for 36 hours prior to butchering the dress out percentage was higher.  The actual weight of the meat was the same, but since the digestive system was empty, the percentage was higher.  Hope the study wasn't funded with my tax money :-)

Dress out percentage on a four year ram with massive horns is going to be alot lower than the dress out on a four month old ram lamb.  That head weighs alot.

On adult sheep (excepting grown rams) we get about 40%.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com