[Jacob-list] newbie questions- eating, dogs, and stool

Tom and Judy Riddolls grey_wethers_farm at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:38:41 EST 2006

ok so this is my first post, hopes it works.  recently i got two bred
ewes (3 &4 years) to start a flock.  Had them a month now and
they do not seem to be eating much, i am used to goats and the
fact that after some stress they don't eat and their barrels shrink,
but only for a while.  So my sheep slimed down but have not
plumped up again! they are happy and very frisky (not spooked,
just playful) so they can't be feeling sick.  i give them hay that is
heavy on alfalfa and right now in Ontario, the snow is gone so
they are grazing some, i give them about 4cups each of COB per
day.
What i see: their manure is now just the lumpy clumps (like a calf)
and the "sheep berries" they do drop are half the size of the ones
when we brought them in.  Also there were small fleshy bits, like a
chewed raspberry in the old manure clump, I worried if one picked up
an old nail, as the barn is built from old barn board and they chew it
up good.  but remember these sheep are racing around the yard
not acting like they have a nail in them.
so what's up? could the pregnancy be at risk?
also i have a bordercollie/australian cross pup i was hoping to train
to work the future flock, but they charge the fence when i bring
him close, they are certainly not timid, nor docile.while i'm asking
does anyone know a good sheep dog forum?

can anyone help?
Tom at Grey Wethers Farm

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology
first two months FREE*.