[Jacob-list] Grain mix

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 22 21:55:42 EST 2006

>Hi folks,
>Just curious what grain mixtures or recipe you use when/if you grain your
sheep?
>Bill Hyslip
=========
I agree that dry COB (corn, oats, barley) is a good grain source.  Some
people feed COB, others feed just corn and others feed rolled oats, some do
both, others don't feed grains at all.  The most important thing is not to
feed too much grain.  Too much COB, or any grain, can cause acidosis,
bloating, urinary calculi (UC) stones, weight gain (from molasses).  Grains
are high in phosphorous (P), low in calcium..  To prevent UC have a high
calcium/phosphorous ratio in the diet and give plenty of drinking water.
This means more calcium than P.  Rams and wethers are more susceptible to
UC because the plumbing is narrower than in a ewe.  Alfalfa is a good
source of calcium.  There is calcium in the mineral mixes.
>We feed Livestock Blend which is a concentrated, complete feed in pelleted
form, also contains a small amount of whole corn.  I was adding a small
amount of rolled oats but stopped because it wasn't that necessary.  They
get this twice a week in the winter.  Later, the pregnant ewes get some
three times a week and the rams, wethers, just get grass hay and minerals.
All get mostly grass hay and some alfalfa, more for the ewes, they all get
minerals.  The bagged feed has a high calcium:P ratio.  Always feed more
hay than grain.
>A sure way to increase the chance for rams and wethers getting stones
(urinary calculi) is to feed them a large amount of grain with grass hay
(usually low in calcium) and then restrict the drinking water.  This can
kill them, the bladder bursts.  It is treatable early, but is difficult to
do.
>If a ewe eats a lot of grain, she likely would get acidosis and bloating.
>Hope this helps.
>I have some current info on feeding corn if anyone is interested.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho