[Jacob-list] Vaccinations

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 21:09:28 EST 2006

Tetanus has never been a problem at our farm.  My vet set our protocol  for
vaccinations, which we adhere to and have done so without incident for  several
years now.  Like I said previously, this works for our farm  and may or may
not work for everyone.

I questioned my vet at length before beginning our health management
program.  He explained it to me this way:

Tetanus anti-toxin is a very short-lived protection (like days), hence the
need for booster shots of the toxoid nature.  Anti-toxin does not offer  long
term protection -- it merely provides for quick immunity against the  disease
at the time skin would be broken.

Toxoid, which is the form of found in sheep vaccinations, works  differently.
 The initial injection is given, followed by a second  booster.  The time of
the first vaccine and the booster differs  from product to product.  We use
Covexin-8, which is labeled for the  first dose to be given at 10 weeks,
followed by the second booster 6 weeks  later.  Without the follow up booster on the
initial vaccination,  the sheep would not be adequately  protected.

We tail dock and ear tag by three days of age AND we give the antitoxin for
quick, immediate and short-lived protection.  We rarely castrate  rams at this
young age, however, if we felt castration was appropriate, it could  be done
at the same time thus eliminating the need for another antitoxin  dose.
However, should be elect to castrate the ram before the 10 week  minimum age, it
would be logical to again administer the short-term acting  vaccine in order to
prevent a possible problem.   NOTE: Because  of the multi-species farm we have
AND the fact we have the equine species on our  farm, our vet recommended
that protocol of vaccine.

Since following these steps, we've never had problem with disease in our
flock.  We believe in preventing disease whenever possible rather than  trying to
treat a serious issue such as tetanus.  The prevention is a small  price as
compared to monies involved for treatment..  In addition, because  we have
multiple species on our farm, it is very important to us to minimize  risk of
disease for every animal as best we can.

I could follow other protocols but why try to "fix" something that isn't
broken?  Like I said, our farm protocols were veterinarian recommended.  They
have been successful thus far for our flock.  We will stick with  what works for
us and be just as happy for other shepherds who choose different  ways of
managing their own flocks.

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box  726
Buckhannon, WV 26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits