[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Mon Feb 6 21:11:47 EST 2006

Katherine, is it possible that your lamb has lysosomal storage disease?  I have a previous e-mail post from Fred Horak that describes lysosomal storage disease and I will quote from that - "lysosomal storage disease is an accumulation of gangliosides in the cerebrum, and presents symptoms of ataxia and recumbancy and is a disease of the spinal cord vs. the spine.  LSD is a deficiency of the lysosomal enzymes that result in the storage of unprocessed waste material from the spinal cord process...sort of like a sludge build-up because the Rid-X doesn't work.  In most of these cases the symptoms begin with being slow and clumsy, ataxia in the rear end, the lamb lags behind, spends a lot of time lying around and eventually dies.  LSD occurs in many species as well."

Another post from Fred Horak that I have on file discusses occipital condylar dysplasia (OCD) - "symptoms can range from no ataxia to severe ataxia.  In the case of severe OCD there is a loss of muscle control and the head may hang to one side with a twist to the nect.  The foramen magnum of the atlanto-occipital joint is not as large as it should be.  The malformation of the condyles can cause a compression of the spine and the spinal cord."  I think this condition affects the the front of the body, as the spinal cord is affected more in the cervical region.

Some yrs. ago I had a lamb who was perfectly fine - and then I started noticing him being clumsy -- he eventually deteriorated to not being able to walk and he was butchered.  In discussing the situation with others on the list and with the expert advice and help from Fred Horak, we made a clinical diagnosis of LSD -- we never did a formal necropsy on him.

Don't know if this will help but it might give you something to research -- hope the little guy improves!

Sue Martin

Stonecroft Manor
"The meadows are clothed with flocks of sheep...They all shout and sing for joy!"
Psa. 65:13