[Jacob-list] hay preservative/ hay substitute

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Feb 5 17:53:08 EST 2006

Dave came back from a trip to our primary hay supplier with the news that 1. our supplier is pretty much sold out of hay for the season (gasp!) and 2. he is thinking of spraying the hay with a preservative next baling season.  Dave didn't ask, but I'm guessing that the preservative will be propionic acid, which I understand is the most commonly used spray for hay.  Correct?  Most common safety concerns involve ulceration due to long term exposure to a corrosive substance.  Hmm - most common use for humans is as preservative in bread and other baked goods.  Glad we bake our own.  Does anyone have personal experience with using sprayed hay?  If he sprays, I don't plan to use his hay both because I'm not really comfortable with the preservative and because the increased price will price it beyond my budget.  I really like this hay, even though it's pricey by the bale, it's cheaper by the pound.  It's heavy bales of Russell Bermuda - never has a bit of mold or dust - and the sheep eat every single bit.

I've been utilizing alfalfa pellets and cubes rather heavily this year.  They are expensive, but are readily available and there is no waste.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com