[Jacob-list] hay preservative/ hay substitute

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Feb 7 14:07:03 EST 2006

I missed this the first time around. We have used propionic acid on our hay that is used for the cows and sheep if we expect it to be damper than we woould like at baling.

There should be no problem with hay sprayed with propionic acid when fed to ruminants. Propionic acid is the primary energy source produced by the rumen, it is like sucrose for simple stomached animals. Propionic acid is sometimes used as a feed supplement for cattle to prevent gorging when feed is provided once or twice a day. (The theory is the same as diets that tell you to eat a small piece of candy BEFORE a meal.)

Neal
"Invention does not consist in creating out of void, but out of chaos" Mary Shelly