[Jacob-list] alfalfa pellets

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed Dec 27 19:17:27 EST 2006

I just got a bag of Blue Seal "Horse Hay Stretcher Lpel" last week. Ingredients are listed as: dehydrated alfalfa meal, wheat middlings, soy hulls, cane molasses, calcium carbonate. 11.5% min crude protein, 2.0 % min crude fat, 20% max crude fiber, calcium .8 - 1.3%, and phosphorus min .45%. The pellets are bigger than the the Southern States or Godfrey alfalfa pellets I use, but they are not hard pressed and the sheep have had no trouble with eating them. I've never had to soak pellets, but I do soak the Seminole alfalfa cubes if I use them.

Our lambing should start near the end of March. I noticed a ewe being covered during cleanup by Abe last week, so it looks it may be a rather long lambing season. All three rams this year were lambs, but they were actively breeding within a week of introduction (October 9). Last year, my rams were adults. I put the rams in September 9, but from the lambing dates, conception didn't occur until October 1.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com