[Jacob-list] Hay issue

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Sat Dec 16 19:09:33 EST 2006

By the way, those of

> us in Calif. really envy the price of hay the rest of

> you guys pay.

$17 is way high, but I thiink that a lot of CA bales are heavier than in
other places. Our 3-string bales of alfalfa may weigh up to 125 lbs,
although probably 90-100 is more common. I have been surprised when I have
gone out of state and ended up with 2-string bales that probably weigh 50-60
lbs. Around here you can usually get alfalfa for $12 at a feed store, but
$7-9 from other sources. I got 5 stacks for the winter at $500/stack which
is about $6.25/bale. I had to add another dollar so so per bale for hauling
it here (retriever truck) and then getting it in the barn (my son, hayhooks,
and a hand truck)
Robin