[Jacob-list] Lamb kit

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 25 11:54:48 EDT 2006

--Tom wrote:
>what shoudl we beginners have on hand for lambing. the lists today mention
>even more meds that people seem to have on hand, what woul be a "master
>list" of supplies we should stock to cover all possible (within reason)
>complications.
===========
Here's a list of items I have used or have access to, I probably forgot
something or there's something better, etc. etc.
Cathy

Lamb kit (or have access to some of these items)

For a complete list of supplies and equipment, see pages 57-61 in Managing
Your Ewe and Her Newborn Lambs, or other lamb book (forgot the title, Lamb
Problems (?)), both by Laura Lawson

The books mentioned above
Phone number of veterinarian
latex medical gloves (for assisting with birth)
baby anal thermometer w/ vaseline
baby aspirin or ibuprofen (pain-reliever, reduces swelling)
Bo-se injectable (optional, use if mother ewe doesn't get selenium, vit. E
in diet)
Nuflor antibiotic injectable (pneumonia, respiratory problems)
IBR-P13 intranasal vaccine (pneumonia)
Penicillin (infections, scours, pneumonia (if no Nuflor)
Vaccines (see vet, lamb book, excell. shepherd)
tetanus injectable (short term)
Iodine (7%)
Frozen colostrum
Lamb milk replacer (enough on hand until you can get more at feed store or
find another source of milk (sheep or goat)
Vit. E, A&D (esp. bottle babies, or poor-doers, vit. E helps lamb digest
milk fats)
Sheep Nutri-drench (contains vitamins above, plus electrolytes, etc.)
Molasses (add to creep feed so they will want to eat it)
For lamb scours (diarrhea)
...Pepto-bismol
...Yogurt (live-culture)
....Penicillin