[Jacob-list] Re: Lamb Percentages

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 12:27:47 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/25/2006 5:50:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jacob-list-request at jacobsheep.com writes:

Also  what percentage of births end up going wrong.  I hear a lot of horror
stories here.  How many ewes do you have before you start to assume  you will
have some lambs that don't make it.

Hi Tom,
I agree with Neal, more good things will happen then bad at  lambing time.
You just tend to hear about the bad.  I help a few  girls every year but most
of them lamb on their own with no assistance.   That said, if it looks like a
ewe is having problems (i.e., normal progress has  stopped) I'll tend to go
ahead and pull lambs rather then wait.

We lambed 61 ewes (Jacobs and Navajo-Churros) this year and they gave  us 119
live lambs and 2 stillborn lambs.  The stillborn lambs were  each one of a
set of triplets and I was there when both were born and was able  to determine
that neither was alive at birth (in otherwords, they'd have  been dead whether
I was there or not).  So, if the ewes are healthy going  into lambing you have
every reason to expect that most of the  deliveries will be normal and most
of the lambs will be alive.

Since our barn gets quite crowded at lambing time we pen the ewes up with
their lambs for several days to let them bond and let the lambs get their
bearings.  That gives us time to observe them and make sure both  mom and the lambs
are thriving before they get turned out into the big, hectic  world.  Shortly
after birth we clip and dip the lambs' navels in iodine,  strip mom's teats,
and make sure the lambs take a sip (nurse), then a few hours  later we give
the lambs a shot of CD&T Antitoxin (3cc) and BoSe  (.5cc).  Then, before they're
released from the pens we dock tails, install  ear tags, take photos and fill
out a lamb check list on each lamb.  From  there on their only assignment is
to eat, grow and play.

Hope lambing goes smoothly for you!
Karen Lobb
PS  to see our 2006 lambs go to: _www.bideaweefarm.com/2006lambs.htm_
(http://www.bideaweefarm.com/2006lambs.htm)
bide a wee farm
registered Jacob & Navajo-Churro  Sheep
19562 NE Calkins Lane, Newberg, OR 97132 ~  503-538-7987
karen at bideaweefarm.com ~ www.bideaweefarm.com