[Jacob-list] lamb kit

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 25 11:15:30 EDT 2006

I keep a box of old bath towels and throw one over my shoulder and
take my coffee with me. The towel is useful for helping the ewe clean
the lamb (if she is amenable, also ensures some bonding with the new
lamb) or moving the lamb to the barn later.

As far as what's on hand in the house:  I record births on the
calendar, I keep ky jelly (for internal exams or birth assistance),
eartags, banding supplies (for docking tails at one day old or in
case I want to wether a ram lamb), needles (I use 22 gauge, 3/4 inch,
single use, ordered by the box from Lambriar Vet Supply), C + D,
BoSe, ivomec, and there is usually some form of antibiotic in the
fridge. I have a couple of nipples/bottles in case I end up with a
bottle lamb. Also, for general use, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing
alcohol, milk of magnesia, thermometer, hoof trimmers. A copy of
Managing Your Ewe and Her Newborn Lambs by Laura Lawson (shows
difficult lambing positions and how to deal with them, has flow
charts of symptoms as a starting place if an animal is ill, I take a
lot of her advice with a grain of salt, as I am not into dispensing
mega doses of vitamins, etc.). A good scale is on my wish list.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre farm
Oakland, Oregon