[Jacob-list] showing sheep with freckles?

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Apr 21 07:21:36 EDT 2006

When I received an email from a potential buyer and she mentioned that she preferred two horned Jacobs because she didn't like those little floppy side horns that four horned Jacobs have, I thought that presenting a four horned Jacob with strong laterals might give the breed a boost.

I docked the ewe lamb that I am considering showing, as I was thinking about this when she and two other show prospects were born.  But then I decided I didn't want to dock just on the off chance I might show one, so what I'd consider my best show prospect (as if I'd know :-0 ) is an undocked ram lamb.  He has type A fleece all the way to the end of his tail, though.

Can you explain?
> All in all, though, I think that freckling is minor issue as far as
> a authentic breed character is concerned. I have a sneaking
>> suspicion that some forms of it arise due to a mis-match in
>> piebald
>> genes across bloodlines.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com