[Jacob-list] showing sheep with freckles?

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Apr 21 09:11:08 EDT 2006

I don't think that they will pay much attention to tail docking at SAFF. By now, most people are aware that there is some controversy over tail docking. If not, this is an excellent opening for  'splainin' to 'em. I have shown several times at SAFF early on for the exact reasons you cite, and was chagrined when I had a ram top the medium wool class. Fortunately, the judge reassured me that he placed up because he exhibited Jacob type.

Now, as to the freckling, we have seen freckling significantly reduced in our flock over the last few years. I have not been particularly aggressive about culling for this trait. What we have done is close the flock and line bred. I certainly don't recommend this for everybody or even many breeders at all. We have done it to protect a given bloodline. Several of these bloodlines were separated for many generations and have developed unique characteristics. Linebreeding is the only way to preserve this uniqueness.

We realized early on that there were some significant differences in the piebald genes (or in related traits) between the bloodlines. As the influence of the outcross rams has diminished, so has the freckling.

Neal Grose

PS: Hey, this is the twentieth anniversary of Louise and I purchasing the only Jacob Ram available on the East coast. "Ram-I-Am" had 5 wild horns, 75% black fleece, weighed 70 pounds wringing wet, and had a hogget fleece that weighed 3 pounds. Dad found out that he liked Little Debbie Spice cakes. He still represents the perfect Jacob sheep for us. See how much trouble that has got us in.