[Jacob-list] showing sheep with freckles?

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Apr 21 05:46:47 EDT 2006

Linda, I think you are exactly right to look at this as presenting the Jacob Breed.

With what little showing I have done and seen, the judges are most likely to give primary consideration to non-breed specific traits. However, SAFF has a good track record of getting judges that are familiar with, and give due credit to what they think are Jacob breed character. I had a few Jacobs at the very first SAFF. One was criticized for having "patches that touched". I got him back in the ewe lamb class though. When he asked why she was not docked, I explained that I had not been able to catch her to perform the procedure. He not only accepted the explanation, but thought it was worth mentioning when he went to the microphone.

When I went to SAFF a few years ago, there was a huge "Jacob" ram being shown that had a nearly level rump. Fortunately, he bottomed the class, because  would have hated to walk out in the ring and slap the judge.

All in all, though, I think that freckling is minor issue as far as a authentic breed character is concerned. I have a sneaking suspicion that some forms of it arise due to a mis-match in piebald genes across bloodlines.

Neal Grose