[Jacob-list] ivomectin/organic

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 16 22:49:56 EDT 2006

--Linda wrote:
>I'm dense. I did a Google for Ivermectin + natural and I came up with
results that had Ivermectin and natural, but none that say >that Ivermectin
is a natural product. I am not arguing - just asking for clarification in
an interesting discussion. How is >ivermectin a natural product? I checked
out some of the "certified organic" sites. Ivormec is allowed in some
certified "organic" >flocks/herds.
==========
Thanks for the research.  You asked again how Ivermectin is a natural
product?  As I recall, it is based on the fact that it is derived from a
soil bacterium.  That would make it 'natural'.  At least, that is what some
organic producers are assuming.  Upon further research via Google, it
appears the stuff is partially chemically synthesized (?).  I found this on
the Internet, glad I took lots of college chemistry.
Now if someone would find out how Permethrin the insecticide is made or
derived, that's one of the standard treatments for lice.

The components of ivermectin are currently synthesized by chemical
hydrogenation of a specific double bond at C22-C23 in the polyketide
macrolides avermectins B1a 5 and B1b 6, broad-spectrum antiparasitic agents
isolated from the soil bacterium Streptomyces avermitilis. From:
Ivermectin, a mixture of 22,23-dihydroavermectin B1a9 with minor amounts of
22,23-dihydroavermectin ...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov / entrez / query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&..