[Jacob-list] ivormectin/organic

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Apr 16 21:57:03 EDT 2006

I'm dense.  I did a Google for Ivermectin + natural and I came up with results that had Ivermectin and natural, but none that say that Ivermectin is a natural product. I am not arguing - just asking for clarification in an interesting discussion.  How is ivermectin a natural product?  I checked out some of the "certified organic" sites. Ivormec is allowed in some certified "organic" flocks/herds.

ivermectin, a parasiticide, is a subject of
debate in the organic community, and
there is some discussion about removing it
from the National List. For now,
ivermectin is allowed for use on dairy
animals when preventive measures for
controlling parasites fail to work. Routine
use is not allowed and a 90-day milk
withholding is required for all treated
animals. Ivermectin is not allowed for use
on slaughter stock, and once an animal
has been administered ivermectin, it may
not be sold as organic beef.

 I certainly may be wrong, as I often am, but I believe that Ivermectin can live in your soil for quite awhile after it has passed through your sheep.  One thing it does is kill dung beetles.  I do use it on both my sheep and rabbits and it's an ingredient of the heartworm preventive I give my dog (Great Dane, not collie).

Interesting aside - I just recently found a source of good hay in my neighborhood.  The farmer had an ad in the local paper.  He advertised the hay as having been chemically fertilized and treated with an herbicide.  While we were loading hay, the farmer mentioned that he had been selling hay to a local goat owner for the last few years.  This goat owner has been selling her milk at at double what other goatherds have been getting because she says it's organic.  Is it??

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com