[Jacob-list] Lice

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 16 21:13:13 EDT 2006

--Original Message--
>From what I've read, sheep can have lice with no symptoms until they are
stressed so treating the whole flock seemed like a >good idea.

>I'm not sure why Ivermectin is a "natural" product???
>Linda
=========
In my case, the ewe had a 4-inch circle of very short wool on her upper
front leg, wool just long enough to cover the skin.  Around this area were
some tiny brown flecks.  That and the fact it is the spring season led me
to diagnose lice.  Maybe it was a fungus??  Whatever it was, it cleared up
after the Ivermectin treatment and the wool is growing again.  It's been a
month and no more patches.  It is important that if one sheep has this, all
must be treated.

As for Ivermectin being a natural product, time to do a Google search.  The
subject came up during a discussion on raising lambs organically, these are
meat producers.  I'll admit that I wasn't paying that much attention
because that isn't a goal of mine; but should be, I suppose.  I better do
some research on Ivermectin and find out for certain.  I use it,
occasionally, for a variety of critters, including older chickens with
lice, so I should know all about it.  It is deadly to Collie dogs, that I
know.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho