[Jacob-list] Lice

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Apr 16 19:09:12 EDT 2006

What do you see when you see signs of lice on sheep?  One year a neighbor gave us a bunch of live roosters for the stew pot.  While I was plucking, I "noticed" (like in - Good Grief! what are these awful bugs that are jumping on me and biting me - burn clothes - take a shower in the garden hose?) the roosters had lice - the lice were the size of big black ants.  I'd guess that sheep lice aren't that big?  :-)

I had a ewe leave here that showed up with lice at her next home.  She had been wormed with ivormec and had been sheared about a month earlier and showed no sign that was apparent to me or the shearer.  I admit that I wasn't looking for lice and am not sure of what to look for.  I assume the shearer would have mentioned something if he saw signs, but maybe not.  I dosed the whole bunch with Permethrin even though I didn't see anything suspicious.  From what I've read, sheep can have lice with no symptoms until they are stressed so treating the whole flock seemed like a good idea.

I'm not sure why Ivermectin is a "natural" product???

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com