[Jacob-list] Lice

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 16 16:56:02 EDT 2006

>>Anyone had trouble with lice? What's the best way to eradicate them? I
would prefer, of course, an organic or natural >>method. I can't seem to
find any natural methods listed on the Internet but I wonder if borax would
work.
>>Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
>>Thanks,
>>Sally
============
I'm on digest, so this is a late answer.  I assume you mean lice on the
sheep?  I had one ewe last month that had a patch of lice activity on her
upper thigh.  My two choices were either a pour-on with diluted Permethrin
and another pour-on 14-days later OR using Ivermectin oral paste (you could
use the injectable made for sheep), just one dose.  All the sheep in the
same group need the treatment.  I went with the easier method, the
Ivermectin, which will only work on sucking lice, not the biting ones.
They must have been sucking lice because the treatment worked.  The sheep
are also dewormed and de-botted(?) (bot flies) at the same time with the
Ivermectin.  I think Ivermectin is considered a "natural" product.  I
definitely prefer it to Permethrin insecticide.  I waited until all the
ewes finished lambing before I treated them.  I might have to treat the
lambs, I'm watching for any signs of lice.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho