[Jacob-list] Guard llamas

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 29 22:08:43 EDT 2005

--Christopher wrote:
Has anyone used llamas and what are the drawbacks and advantages of llamas
with Jacobs?
========
We have one gelded llama.  From what I was told, it is best to get one
rather than two or more because one will bond with the sheep and two will
bond to each other.  It is important to get a gelding so the llama doesn't
try and breed with the ewes and injure them.  I don't know about female
llamas as guards.  We have had a llama for 8 years with no problems and no
sheep losses from predators.  The llama and ram get along now, but it
wasn't always so friendly.  The 2-horned ram would chase the llama and hit
him occasionally.  The ram stopped when the llama turned and spit in his
face.  To prevent injuries, I put the llama in a perimeter area that
surrounds the sheep paddock so the ram can't get to him, but he can still
protect.  Sometimes the llama spends the night in the same paddock with the
sheep and there hasn't been a problem.

I also know of a situation where a guard llama was killed by a newly
purchased 4-horn Jacob ram.  The ram was about 2 yrs old, maybe older, and
the previous owners wanted to sell him because he was aggressive.  Someone
bought him and the ram killed their llama.  If you get a llama or two, you
might want to pen him near the sheep, with a fence between the llama and
sheep, until you are certain that everyone will get along.  I have also
read that llamas are not good guards if you have a problem with bears.
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho