[Jacob-list] More COOL news

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Oct 29 04:53:36 EDT 2005

Here is the latest thing to come in on ag news service.
Neal Grose

COOL Delayed Two Years
The House-Senate agriculture appropriations conference committee voted to delay mandatory country-of-origin labeling (COOL) for meat, fruits and vegetables until Sept. 30, 2008. Under the 2002 farm bill mandatory COOL was to be implemented in 2006. Opponents of mandatory COOL have argued that the current law is unworkable and the costs for producers and industry would out-weigh the benefits. We can expect this issue to be revisited during consideration of the farm bill in 2007.

And while we are on the subject of what our boys in Washington are doing...

  FOOD STAMPS WOULD BEAR ONE-FOURTH OF UDSA BUDGET CUTS (120 Reuters 10/27) Food stamps would bear one-fourth of $3.7 billion in USDA budget cuts under a package unveiled Thursday by House Agriculture Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte.  He recommended food stamp cuts of $844 million over five years by tightening program eligibility.  Members of the Agriculture Committee are to meet today to vote on the package.  It would also pare crop supports by $1 billion, land stewardship by $734 million, rural development by $446 million and agricultural research by $620 million.