[Jacob-list] Wool slip

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Nov 10 17:01:51 EST 2005

A few months ago, I had a ewe lamb that was showing up with bottle jaw weekly.  She was also quite anemic.  When worming with the normal doses (including follow up) didn't work, I was pulling my hair out for something to do.  Finally gave her a large dose of a cocktail recommended by U of Tn (ivormec and strongid).  Within days, she was frisky, eating like a horse (maybe because I used horse wormer?), and was showing some pink in her membranes.  Whew, another problem overcome!  Then I noticed some tufts of wool loose in her fleece.  I thought "just what she needs - now she's probably got lice."  After checking her carefully, I didn't see any sign of lice or scratching, but did see some small bald spots, so I treated her for lice.   She spent the next week losing all her wool, except for her neck.  I've had sheep get a break in the fleece after stress situations but nothing quite like this.  This appeared to break off right at the skin.  It's growing back.  Has anyone every seen anything like this?

I bought her a dog sweater and will keep her in the barn with her sister during our cold nights.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com