[Jacob-list] excessive salivation

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Wed May 25 16:25:59 EDT 2005

Linda, just some thoughts on your possible poisoning issues...

My Merck has several pages in its "poison" table, including laurel.   Some of
the other possible plants are listed below and include the symptoms you
experienced with your two sheep:
Zygadenus (death camas)
Amianthium muscae-toxicum (fly poison, stagger grass crow  poison)
Phytolacca americana (pokeweed)
Vertrum spp. (false hellebore)
Prosopis glandulosa (mesquite-normally found out west)
Prunus spp. (chokecherries, wild cherry, peaches)  a.k.a.  cyanide poisoning
Prunus caroliniana (laurel cherry, Cherry laurel) esp. wilted  form; cyanide
poisoning
Agrostemma githago (corn cockle)
Dugaldia (helenium) hoopseii (orange sneezeweed)
Helenium micro-cephalum (small sneezeweed)
Conium maculatum (poison hemlock)
Kalmia spp. (laurel, ivy bush, lamb kill) name says it all!
Sorghum vulgare (sorghum, sudan grass, kafir, durra, milo,  broom corn,
schrock)
Sorghum halepense (johnson grass)

Most likely you are not dealing with nitrate, or more accurately, nitrite
poisoning. Basically, the nitrite ion in the blood converts hemoglobin to
methemoglobin and acts like a vasodilator.  Hypoxia and low blood pressure  are
your results and symptoms include rapid, weak heartbeat; low  body temperature,
muscle weakness/ataxia (stumbling) and cyanosis.   Seizures or convulsions are
common, sometimes within an hour.  Most  cases,however, result in death within
about 3-4 hours.  Treatment would be  administering a 2% solution of
methylene blue, which aids in the reduction of  methemoglobin to hemoglobin.  Mineral
oil is commonly given to protect the  irritated mucous membranes within the
digestive system.

As for the pennkoted seed, who knows!  There should be a poison  control
number on that bag somewhere, you know, in case of accidental  ingestion!  I've
learned that organic is best around critters of all  sorts.  I guess there is
just too many things to go wrong with chemical  fertilizers and such so I steer
clear.  Other people swear by them, which  is fine.  I politely say, "No thank
you" and go on about my organic-like  way.

Hope the sheep are doing better and have/are recovering nicely.  Have  a
great day! -- Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits