[Jacob-list] excessive salivation

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed May 25 16:50:11 EDT 2005

Thank you, Cheryl.  There are no poison plants in that paddock, but with the wind we had, there were a lot of leaves from who knows where.  I didn't see any poison leaves, but if they ate them, I guess I wouldn't :-)

Other than the excessive salivation, muscle weakness (RubyBelle was stumbling and exhibited very obvious hindquarter weakness), and very slow respiration, I didn't observe any of the other symptoms for nitrate poisoning, but the situation seemed conducive.   I imagine anything that caused pain could cause stumbling and she was in pain.  I did check membranes for signs of cyanosis (or anything out of the ordinary), but didn't see anything unusual.

I don't swear by chemical fertilizers by any means!  When we had rich level bottom land that seldom needed much, we used everything organic.  So far, it hasn't been affordable here.  Try buying a few bags of rock phosphate.  We do use as much rabbit manure as we can carry, but that does tend to be spread in areas where I can get with the truck.  I love being tucked away here where we can't see any houses or hear anybody at night, but it's not exactly what you'd think of as farm land. ( My vegetable garden is 100% organic, though).  One good thing is that the pregnant ewes (and me) get plenty of exercise.

Linda
What's New at Patchwork Farm?

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:25:59 EDT, Paintedrockfarm at aol.com wrote:
> Linda, just some thoughts on your possible poisoning issues...
    Most likely you are